Green Pledge by EU missions in Delhi [fr]
On the occasion of the World Environment Day on 05 June 2018, the Delegation of the European Union to India and the Embassies of the European Union Member States announce a “Green Pledge”.
- French Embassy staff members take a pledge to beat plastic pollution on World Environment Day, 5 June 2018
New Delhi, 5 June 2018
As a contribution to “Beat Plastic Pollution”, which is the theme of the World Environment Day 2018 being hosted by India from 01-05 June 2018, we will aim to:
- Eliminate the use of single-use plastic products wherever possible such as plastic straws, stirrers, cups etc. in our embassies and residences.
- We will switch from plastic bags to other material such as paper, cloth or jute bags,
- We will stop serving water in plastic bottles.
- We will request hotels and conference facilities where we organize our events to follow these principles.
In addition, we will continue to take steps to green our embassies:
1. Saving Power, saving water:
- a. Water and power consumption will be reduced by installing the necessary equipment or retro-fitting, including LED lights, insulation, optical sensors, timer devices, motion sensors etc.
- b. Solar water heaters, solar power panels and rain-water harvesting structures will be installed on the rooftops of buildings where practically feasible.
- c. Green areas watering will be with minimal water consumption.
2. Reducing and managing waste:
- a. Segregation of garbage will be continued and increased.
- b. We will ensure that segregated waste is recycled.
- c. Conversion of organic waste into natural compost will be encouraged.
- d. We will use recycled papers.
- e. We will ensure periodic collection of our electric/electronic waste and look into ways for safe disposal of other hazardous waste streams for safe disposal
- f. We will introduce green purchasing into our criteria for supply contracts, and purchase Sustainable/Environmental/Fair trade products when available
3. Education and training:
- a. We will conduct in-house awareness raising to sensitize staff and families on ways to minimise use of water and power, reduce plastic usage, segregate of garbage, re-use and repair items instead of discarding to the extent possible, and use air-conditioning moderately.
- b. We will ensure that our projects in India contributes to a better environment.