Strong Indian Presence at the “Choose La Réunion” Summit [fr]
Reunion Island, 23 October 2019
The President of the French Republic, H.E. Mr Emmanuel Macron, invited political authorities and investors of several Indo-Pacific Rim countries to the Reunion Island to develop the economy of this region.
India was particularly well-represented at this event. The Minister of State for External Affairs, Mr Vellamvelly Muraleedharan led the Indian delegation. The delegation included:
- Mr Vikram Kirloskar, President of Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- Mr Jai Shroff, Chairman UPL
- Mr Miguel Munoz, Chief Resorts Officer of Mahindra Holidays and Resorts India Limited
- Mr Dhiren Pereira, The Oberoi Mauritius
- Mr KS Khan, L&T defence
- Mr Prasanna Sarambale, Sterling & Wilson
The President of the French Republic, Mr Emmanuel Macron repeatedly described India as a strategic partner for the development of Indo-Pacific relations.
"All the economic players in the region are aware that this is the" strategic space" of tomorrow. We have an unprecedented card to play, the Indo-Pacific being the hub of global maritime trade. It is the crossroads of the world with submarine communications cables, but it will be even more so tomorrow, thanks to its fish stocks and the treasures of biodiversity which it contains".